Chitika

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pinterest Project No. 1: Origami Stars

Finally, was able to finish my first Pinterest project! 

I loved this origami star tutorial I saw on Pinterest and decided this would be the perfect Christmas gift for my bosses who are moving in to a new home after the holidays.


So off I went to National Bookstore and found this beautiful gold paper and bought 2 pieces right away since I was planning to make around 3 stars: 1 large and 2 medium ones.
Cut the paper into squares. The large star I measured the squares at 12" x 12"
and 10" x 10" for the smaller stars.



Fold the square in half on both sides. Remember to crease the folds
very well. Now cut 1/4 of the way the 4 horizontal and
vertical lines as shown in the picture.



Apply glue on one side of the folded flap then stick the other side
onto the glued flap like in the picture




Here are the stars after the flaps have been glued together.

The tutorial ended here but I wanted my star to be sturdy. Tried spraying with acrylic but I noticed that this was dulling the gold color (thank God I tested on a small piece of paper first!) so I decided to stuff the stars instead. 


I found out that the best (and earth-friendly!) stuffing were laundry
plastic bags so I cut them up in manageable pieces and stuffed them
in using scissors. Careful not to pierce the paper!
Fix the folds as sometimes the stuffing tends to warp them.


I added a silver cord in between the stars before
gluing them together and here's the
finished product.
After sending my Christmas gift to their house, Mrs. Peña called right away to thank me and to say how she loved the stars.


I think I'll be making more for the condo...
 signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...